I am a huge casserole fan. We do a lot of dinner casseroles but usually stay with the same breakfast staples like smoothies and oatmeal. So, when I found this recipe for a breakfast casserole I was really excited to try it. I’m not a fan of eggs, most of the casseroles I have found have majority egg content and I’m just not about that.
If you like sausage and potatoes, you will love this casserole. The best part is, it keeps well for a few days. We make it in a 8 X 11 dish and have leftovers for breakfast for 1-2 days. It’s also a perfect dish to take to a brunch, your guests are sure to love it!
- 1lb ground sausage (i used pork but chicken or beef sausage is also great)
- 5-6 slices of cooked and chopped bacon
- 1 bell pepper of choice, diced ( i used red)
- 1lb of frozen tater tots
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 1/5 -2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook sausage in a large skillet and drain the grease. Cook bacon and chop up into small pieces and set the bacon aside.
- In a medium sized bow, combine the milk, eggs, onion powder, salt and pepper and whisk until well blended.
- Grease an 8 X 11 pan and pour in the cooked sausage. Next add the diced bell pepper. Pour the milk and egg mixture over the sausage and make sure its spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the mixture.
- Top the casserole with frozen tater tots and line them up so they will all cook evenly. Next sprinkle the chopped bacon on top and pop in the oven.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until the tots are no longer frozen. Let sit for 3-5 minutes and serve warm!
Recipe inspired by chewoutloud.com