It’s my personal opinion but I believe that chocolate is one of the greatest things that is on planet earth. I love it so much. Dark chocolate, white chocolate, semi-sweet, you name it- I love it. So, when I came across this recipe, of course I had to try it. Verdict is in… THEY ARE DELICIOUS.
We don’t eat a lot of food like this in our house but when we do, we go all out. This one was definitely worth it. It’s lots of sugar, butter and all the calories. However, I am at the point in my relationship with food to where I can have one serving and be content. So a little bit isn’t horrible for me. You do you. If you want to indulge- this is the dish you will be completely satisfied with.
This recipe is especially good if you are wanting to please a crowd. It only takes about 30 minutes to make and you can serve it warm or chilled.
- 1 box of devils food chocolate cake (any brand will do)
- I can of cherry pie filling (21 oz)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 13X9 pan really well- sides and all
- In a large bowl, mix all the cake bar ingredients (cake mix, pie filling, vanilla, eggs) Mix with a hand mixer until it is all blended together nicely like cake batter. You can leave some whole cherries in there if you like. Be sure to scoop out all of the gooey cherry mix in the can when you pour it out, it gives it all the flavor.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. You will know when it’s done when a toothpick comes out clean from the middle of the cake.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, butter and milk and bring to a boil. STIR CONSTANTLY for 1 minute while boiling. Do NOT stop stirring. Remove from heat after the 1 minute of boiling and then add in the chocolate chips and vanilla and stir until it’ smooth. (This is where you can dip your finger in and get taste)
- Pour and spread over the warm cake and let cool for 2 hours on the counter. You can also put it in the fridge to speed it up
- Cut into bars and serve with a glass of milk!